Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tropical Folk Art Part 2 - We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat


So the next step was to cut leaf shapes from each of Jim's fabrics.  I stacked a few layers at a time and just started cutting.  After working on so many appliqué projects over the years I really did not need a template or pattern.  
As the super bowl started, I started cutting.  By the time I got to the last bin of hand dyed fabric I realized the I was going to need more background to accommodate all my leaves.  Hence - the reference to one of my favorite movies, Jaws.  When Brody sees Jaws for the first time his response is "We're going to need a bigger boat."  That was my thought as my pile of leaves kept growing.
I ended up with over 130, 2-inch leaves!
 
My solution to accommodate my leaves are wide borders.  Tomorrow, I will share an easy way to add borders. NO MEASURING!  

Until next time, 
best stitches from Mercy in Miami 


4 comments:

  1. The colours are divine Mercy. I forgot about the Jaws line, I thought of the Jeep advert, but maybe that's where they go it from LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love these colors too! Very Miami :)

      Delete
  2. Mercy, I knew right away what you were referring to LOL! Some things just stick in your mind forever :) I just LOVE these colors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I know what you mean - I also remember - leave the gun take the cannoli - hahah

      Delete